Monday, December 7, 2009

The Iceman Sicketh...

warning, truly yucky story to follow, read at your own risk:

________________________________

Well, I must relay my story, because it's too horrendous not to:

Saturday I had a wonderful day! I made my family eggs, bacon, and hash browns for breakfast, not eating it (OK! I had a BITE of the hash browns). And then I made myself my breakfast of choice here lately. An egg sandwich. For lunch I had a salad and some cottage cheese and pineapple.

I was feeling so on top of it all.

That afternoon I headed out with some family members to do some Christmas shopping and had a wonderful time. We rounded out our shopping trip with Chipotle and my incredible fit and thin cousin helped me to navigate the menu so that I wasn't eating one of their 2-days-worth-of-food burrito. Life was blissful.

Since I was gone for the afternoon/early evening my husband decided to be a stellar Dad and took the kids to a Christmas Talent Show held at the local Community Center. As a treat afterwards, he took them to a local pizza joint. He is SUCH a good daddy.

Well when I got home from my fun I went downstairs to find my husband and 2 of our 4 children just laying on the couch. All were miserable and saying that their stomach's hurt. The precocious 3rd born was also saying her stomach hurt, but was still playing. A little while later my husband went to bed. And by 8pm I had all the kids in bed.

Then the mayhem started. The vomiting, the puking, and the throwing up. It was like clockwork. My husband would puke, then on down the line, 1, 2, 3. Next round - husband 1, 2, 3. This went on, round after round, about 6 or 7 times, maybe more, truly, by 3 am, I had stopped counting.

I was just waiting for the baby to join in, but my husband told me, somewhere around 2 am when I was remarking that that the baby hadn't gotten sick yet, that he was the only one who hadn't eaten the pizza.

Ugh, what a bad night, right? Can't get any worse, right? Wrong- about 3 am the baby does wake up, but not with puking. He is struggling to breathe. Come to find out later he has croup/ strider virus. But at that time I don't know what was going on. I crash through his closet to find the nebulizer machine leftover from when his 5 year old brother was a baby. Find a, most likely expired, nebulizer treatment, set it up and wake up my husband with, "Baby can't breathe, are you well enough to sit here and hold him while he breathes this?" Because, you guessed it, someone was puking again and needed my help.

Well all that's very bad, right? Can't get any worse, right? Wrong - about the same time the baby is struggling to breathe I'm getting VERY sick to my stomach and having hot flashes, waves of nausea, the sound of blood pumping in my ears. Yup, I'm getting sick to.

So about 4 am everything "calms" down. We've gone through every towel, blanket, sleepwear in the house. The cries of distress have died down, and I can't respond now, anyway. I'm trying not to puke myself.

Sunday was spent in a haze of my sickness and my families recovery. I didn't get, whatever it was, nearly as bad as everyone else, but I had it none the less.

I finally felt slightly strong enough to take the baby to the Dr. this morning. Where I learned it was croup/ strider and he also has double ear infections.
______________________________

So I just had to relay my horrible story. Why? Well I'm still pretty traumatized, two days later, and it's cathartic to share. :)

As for diet and exercise? Well, right now, I'm still weak enough that walking up the stairs makes the blood start pumping in my ears again. And I've eaten a grand total of 1 can ginger ale, a packet of Ra men Noodles, and a Nutrigrain bar in the past 48 hours (all consumed in about the last 3 hours).

Tomorrow, tomorrow maybe things will be back to normal...

--The Iceman, down, but not out---

1 comment:

  1. Well that truly was gross. Sick is never fun. But apparently good for weight loss.:) Hope you are doing better today and taking on the world once again.

    ReplyDelete