Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I know what I am doing

Let's face it, Goose, Iceman and I have done this before. We have all led healthy lifestyles where we made good decisions about food, exercised regularly and felt so good we couldn't imagine living any other way. But then something happens, we get off track for a moment and it all spirals out of control. The good news is that since we have done it we know what we need to be successful. We just need to do those things.

Today I decided to pull it together with one of the many tricks necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Plan ahead. Today as I was boiling up some hard boiled eggs for my lunch (egg salad sandwich) I decided to just boil up the rest of the carton. While they were cooking I made up an entire package of brown rice, started my spaghetti sauce recipe simmering and baked a few chicken breasts. In 30 minutes I was able to put at my disposal the ingredients for some quick, delicious and simple lunches. Rice and beans, egg salad, and chopped up chicken breasts go in salads, wraps and on pizza crusts. My spaghetti sauce is the quick and healthy answer to dinner whenever I am stuck and I like to have several small containers of it in my freezer.

So today I am feeling good having had a bowl of Grape Nuts for breakfast, egg salad sandwich for lunch and planning spaghetti for dinner which I will serve over gluten free pasta I have on hand. I will NOT sprinkle on any Parmesan cheese even though I love it but will probably have a slice of garlic bread. But just one.

I am feeling sore today after yesterdays workout. Have done nothing today and want to say I can work out every other day but that is not the plan I set for nor the plan I want to be part of my lifestyle. My son will be home in about an hour and I am planning to get in a 30 minute walk when he gets home. (he can watch the 4 year old) Might do a little running as well but not sure the knee can handle 2 days in a row of running. Tomorrow I am hoping to get to the Y for another spin class with my neighbor. I will report back on the experience.

Last night I was watching the biggest looser. There is a man that has been thin and fat more than once in his life and while happy to be back down is worried about whether he can break the cycle this time and stay thin and healthy. Although I am not ballooning up to over 400 pounds between healthy and unhealthy habits I certainly feel frustrated by the constant changes and worry that I will fail again too. But one thing I have learned over the years is that we all fail but we just have to keep starting over and eventually our habits will stick so that we don't fail for years or months or weeks but we can just fail for a moment, stay on the path and keep going. There will always be failures but we cannot let them put us in a tail spin and spiral out of control.

No comments:

Post a Comment