Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Iceman Cometh

I need to watch Top Gun again. I'm sure I could glean some insights into these "handles" we have all chosen. Am I Iceman? Does Iceman slip up and make mistakes? Has he started and stopped so many times that he can't count that high? Well it's definitely me.

Yesterday was a non-start for me. Feeling every one of those 21 hours that it took to get home. I was exhausted. I slept in, didn't work out, and I ate copious amounts of cereal throughout the day. I was so cranky about my failures that by the time my husband got home. I was a bear.

But somewhere in there, my attitude shifted again. Maybe it was the realization that I ALWAYS feel this crappy when I disappoint myself. Maybe it was having to confess to my husband, ONCE AGAIN, why I was so cranky. Maybe it was the guilt of snapping at my children during their marathon of a school day.

Either way. I pulled myself together. I forced myself to make a weekly grocery list, I forced myself to make good food choices on that list, and then I forced myself to get to that grocery store at 7pm and do the weekly grocery shopping.

When I got home the world seemed better. I day that had felt like a total loss was redeemed and I felt very accomplished. I sat down and ate some carrots, pea pods & hummus for my supper and felt very good.

So today is a new day. I got up and ran about 3.5 miles at the club and I've have stayed away from any sweets that are not fruit.

So what is my goal? To rid myself of the sugar noose that is around my neck. I seriously think I am addicted. Seriously. My goal till January 1st (minus 3 days for Christmases) is to eat nothing sweeter than fruit. It's funny, even as I write this I start making exceptions in my brain. "Well I can have one glass of egg nog" is the one that it popping into my head right now. See?! It is a sickness.

I'm ready for this challenge. I'm ready to make GOOD habits that I can rely on each day to get me through.

Iceman out.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent! One foot in front of the other. I will be breathing down your neck every step of the way...until I fall off the wagon, then you can breathe down my neck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that what it's all about? Keeping each other accountable and helping the other when they fall? Thanks for breathing down my neck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very exciting for us all. I too am trying to leave sugar. Will someone tell me how to make grape nuts yummy without a teaspoon of sugar on top? Can I do honey? I have done that before and it is good but really honey is just a slightly healthier version of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maverick....Frozen berries! My Uncle Sam's whole grain and flax seed cereal is flavorless except for the powerful whole wheat flavor...i pour some frozen berries in a bowl, nuke for a minute and add the cereal and milk...also a banana....this is a no brainer for making grape nuts more appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always eat grape nuts with honey. It's my favorite way to eat them. As for honey being a slightly healthier version of sugar? Au contrarie!! The amount of vitamins and minerals in honey, plus it's antioxidant and anti-inflamitory ingredients make it WAY better than sugar. One of the many reasons I am detoxing from sugar is because I think, no, know with-out-a-doubt that the highly refined, fake sugar has an addicting quality to it that just aren't there with natural sugars. Honey doesn't leave you CRAVING more. So I guess I would enjoy honey with out guilt (in moderation of course :) ).

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK but honey is definately still sugar. Yes way better, I didn't want to get too carried away but I see that I could of. :) This is where I get confused on the sugar. Honey is definately a sugar. Not refined sugar but sugar none the less. Am I just going off refined sugar or all sugars. OK not fruit but any sort of added sugar. I realize it would be impossible to completely go off all sugars since it is in EVERYTHING but where to draw the line for myself, that is the question.

    Goose, I will be doing the fruit tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete