Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sugar Fast

Maverick is not having a good week.   But I think into everyones life some bad weeks must fall.  I skipped my weekend workout and have been a little slack this week so far skipping again today due to a few glitches in my schedule.  Last Friday I ate so much I felt like I would explode.  It was just one of those days where too much food, specifically sugar, came my way and I didn't say no to any of it.

I really am finding that sugar is a major issue in my life.  I really do feel bloated when I eat it.  And I would never have said that sugar was my thing.  I am a salty girl not a sweet tooth girl.  Give me chips and salsa any day of the week and leave your chocolate bar at home.  But our culture and our diets are such that you are being constantly bombarded by sugar and can consume alot of it before you even realize what you are doing.  Not to mention the way holidays seem to revolve around it, particularly the recently passed Valentine's day which is just an excuse to buy chocolate, go to a gluttonous restaurant and spend money at hallmark.  We passed on all of that this year and yet still managed to find way too much pink candy at church on Sunday morning and found ourselves driving home with a cup full of m&m's, chocolate kisses and dove chocolates.  So unnecessary. (full disclosure--the candy was left over from centerpieces I created for an event at the church Friday night.  So it was my fault.)

Tomorrow is the first day of Lent.  Our family has enjoyed learning about and being part of this season of sacrifice for the past few years.  Many people fast from desserts or sugar during this time but we have taken some more non traditional approaches to our lenten fasts in the past.  This year though I think it is time for us to be a little more traditional and give up sugar for lent.  40 days fasting from sugar.  Sunday's are "feast days" where you don't fast because you are celebrating the Lord.  Sometimes we continue our fasts even on Sundays but this year I think we will indulge in our feast days.  My goal isn't to cut sugar out of my life forever but live in moderation.

Tonight, Shrove Tuesday, the night before lent begins, we will be celebrating with the traditional pancake dinner.  The history is that early Christians would make pancakes to use up all the sugar and fat in the house which they would be giving up for lent.  Can you imagine if making pancakes finished off all the, sugar in our houses today.  Just think what we would have to eat for dinner to rid the house of sugar.  Cookies, chocolates, muffins, fruit snacks, sugary drinks, cereals, yogurt, ice cream, and on and on.  We would certainly be ready for a fast after a meal like that! Ugh. 

I guess that is just another reason my theme of the year is "simplify".  I really want to even eat simpler.  Remembering food is fuel not entertainment and creating delicous but healthy meals that meets my family's needs without filling our bodies with things we don't need.

1 comment:

  1. I translated the above and according to google it says, "Happy Healthy Smile is to maintain life, the only constructive criticism, the value of 10 million, but do not spend a penny"

    ReplyDelete