Friday, January 15, 2010

Hitting a Wall

OK I wasn't going to weight myself today because I knew I had eaten a little too much sugar on two consecutive days of social outtings.  I felt I had really been doing well all of last week so assumed the bad days had balanced it out to nothing.  However, I was feeling so good after my hour long body pump class followed by 30 minutes on the eliptical that I decided to see where I was at...UP 2 POUNDS!  Now all of this was never really about a specific weight loss goal for me as much as just feeling better but on the other hand the plan certainly wasn't to gain weight and since the start of this project I have now gained 4 pounds!  NOW it is about weight loss, I would at least like to be where I started.  This is ridiculous.  Embarassing even.  Normally I like to blame weight gain, especially when I am in a good workout routine, on added muscle.  And I do think I have added muscle since starting body pump probably at a faster rate than I am burning off fat so that can be part of the excuse.  But now I need to burn off that fat to balance all my new muscle weight gain.  My pants have been tighter this past week which I was trying to tell myself was because they were fresh out of the dryer even though they have never been that tight fresh out of the dryer before...So it really isn't fat loss with muscle gain.  It is fat with muscle.  I am also wondering, and was wondering last week, if my portions are too great.  I feel I am eating good stuff but maybe I make too big of salads.  Or put too much goodness into them.  Or maybe I don't need a cup of yogurt with my sandwich.  I think I was feeling like because I was making healthy food I could eat as much as I wanted of it.  Maybe not.

And, I should probably acknowledge that I am getting to that age where metabolism slows down.  I know it slowed down at 29 and I gained quite a bit of weight over a couple years before I pulled it together.  At that time I was totally sedintary and so my body had nothing to do but gain weight.  10 years later I am much more active and the slow down in my metabolism has been much less obvious.  None-the-less it does seem to have arrived and I should probably start thinking differently about portions.

Today I am feeling a bit fat and down.  To make matters worse I am going to Lion's Tap for dinner.  Delicous but likely will not make me feel any thinner.  Tomorrow morning though I am going to hit the treadmill early to cap off 5 days of working out this week.  Back at it Monday with a new dedication to shaping my body into a lean a healthy machine.

Maverick in the beginner class at the flight school but not giving up.

1 comment:

  1. 5 days in a row of working out!! Yay! that is awesome!

    yes, portion control, you are on the right track there! focus in on that.

    keep up the good work!

    your faithful flight compatriot, goose.

    ReplyDelete