Monday, January 11, 2010

Black Beans



Last week was the new year detox.  I certainly did better than those initial 2 detox weeks that I inspired in Goose and then never quite pulled together myself.  I did cheat a couple times but managed to eat quite well and exercise 4 days last week. I plan to weigh myself tomorrow to determine if it helped with those 2 pounds I discovered last Tuesday that I had gained over the indulgent holidays.  One day when I trying to make a healthy lunch but was getting down to the end of the groceries I discovered black beans in my pantry.  I had made a small ham sandwich and just wanted a little something more to satisfy myself.  I ended up putting a few black beans in a small bowl, added some frozen corn I had left in the freezer, a little salsa (since I didn't have any fresh tomatoes), red onion (which I think goes with pretty much everything) and a squirt of lime juice.  A delicious and healthy side to my sandwich.  I might have made it a little more ahead since the corn was still a little frozen when I ate it but otherwise it has inspired me to be more bold with my use of beans.  I have used the rest of that can of black beans several times this week:  I sprinkled them on a salad, added them to an egg salad sandwich and to a cobb salad sandwich.  Plus I already love red beans and rice but Goose tells me that black beans and rice with a little southwest flavoring is delicious too.  Definately planning to try that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment