Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Rolling Along

OK First of all.  I am hormonal.  And I talked to a friend who is also experiencing crazier than normal hormonal episodes who assured me that we are stuck with it for the next 10 years or so.  yeah.  But there is some progesterone cream at the health food store she has been using and said after a couple months she thinks it is helping.  So I will be picking some up tomorrow.  Just thought I would share in case there are any other 41 year olds out there.

So I have been a little crabby the past couple days and when I told my husband that I was thinking of going to the Y he pretty much pushed me out the door.  And Isabelle was so excited to go play there she practically dragged me out.  So I went to the Y. 

I was standing at the elliptical machines which I have been using for the past couple months in an effort to give my knee a break but the treadmills were calling me.  Especially with this 1/2 marathon looming out there.  So I got on and told myself I would take it easy.  So I did a 5 minute walking warm up and then I did 5 minutes at 5.5 mph, then I thought I should go to 6 mph after another 5 minutes, then I thought I would just go up to 6.5 for 5 minutes and then go back to 5 mph for 5 minutes and so on.  But of course about a minute into the first 6.5 my knee starts hurting.  So I walk for a minute and then try to run at 6 mph but it still hurts so I drop down to 5 but it still hurts.  Worse than I remember it hurting before I started doing the Elliptical machines.

In the mean time I have an ipod now and I am plugged into my ipod+nike machine which is tracking my workout while I listen to wonderful worship music.  And I just really want to run free while I worship the Lord.  And it isn't working out!

So I finally have to just walk while I worship and I had a little chat with God about not running.  I really want to run but was thinking I might have to give it up.  Then I thought about our cousin J, who needs a Top Gun Moniker and I happened to see a scene from the movie this weekend and one of the instructors went by "Jester" and so I hereby proclaim our cousin to be Jester.  So Jester had the same injury I have this past year and she worked through it and is able to run again.  Ice and lots of let rolling got her through.  So I realized that I can experience God's healing for me if I am willing to do the work of caring for myself (I prefer the healing without the work), I worship God by doing the work he has given me.  And in this case he has given me an injury that needs attention not ignoring.

So tomorrow morning I am going to work with my foam roller under my arm and will have smoothed out that IT band within an inch of its life by the end of the month.  I will call Jester to get her exact rehab plan.

I am off right now to roll out my legs and the ice them while relaxing on the couch the rest of the night.

1 comment:

  1. can you bring the roller to work and roll during your down time and thigh lunges? :) i will pray that God will heal you as you partner with Him in some practical steps to recovering your knee.

    ReplyDelete