Monday, January 2, 2012

But I Work...

OK OK I am here. I have thought of posting several times this fall but instead decided to just let my butt get bigger and bigger and spread further and further across my desk chair. I don't keep a scale at home but I kept telling myself I had only gained about 5 pounds because my pants were all still fitting fine.  And I can drop 5 pounds without thinking about it.  At least that 5, I gain and loose that 5 all the time.

Then a few things happened simultaneously. My pants felt tight, I realized the jeans I was wearing were a size larger than I normally wear and thus why they felt roomy and I went to a yoga class and spent an hour staring at my butt in the mirror. During that yoga class I kept trying to realign my body because my butt was sticking out so far. Then I decided it was just shadow since the lights are dimmed during the class. So I reached back to confirm my theory and was horrified to realize that was actually my butt. I am one of those people that if I gained 100 pounds it would all live in my lower half. It would not distribute evenly. If I was sitting in a car you would never know I was over weight. During the dark time when I was 10 more pounds than I am right now I still had a flat stomach. It is all in the butt. Anyway, after yoga I went down to find the scale in the locker room and confirm my fears. I am 10 pounds heavier than I was 6 months ago. 10 pounds! In 6 months! NOT. GOOD.



Admittedly that little revelation does have me a bit freaked out and slightly obsessed.  Yet one problem remains.  I am still working.  I still sit at a desk all day, I am still tired after work, have a million things I want to do and somehow rarely get running to the top of the list before bed.  It isn't that I never eat healthy or never go work out it is just that I have lost the consistency and it is easy to loose track of how much you have eaten when you are just responding to what each day brings and it is hard to train for a 1/2 marathon when you might go run 3 times one week none the next and once the next and then back to 3 times.

Few thanks for letting me get all those excuses off my chest.

So at this point my intention is to run this 1/2 with Iceman and Goose. I also would like to do the iron girl duathlon. I am toying with returning to Georgia for another triathlon at some point (the water is much warmer down there) but I am not ready to rush into things since I have no clue when I am going to train for anything quite yet.

I did manage to loose 2 pounds before Christmas but the likely hood it has stayed off is questionable. Let's say I gained 1 back so I have 9 more to loose. And I actually have been trying to loose another 5 for years. So if I must start in ernest then I might as well loose that 5 too. So 14 pounds total is what I would like to loose by summer.

I am not sure how committed I am to it since today at lunch I got a vanilla white chocolate mocha from Caribou to finish off my regular sized bowl of pasta from Noodles.

I did have a happy surprise on Saturday.  I went in at 9am so Isabelle could go to the 9:15 kids yoga class she loves and noticed they were setting up for body pump which I love but haven't done for months.  They normally don't have it until 10:30 which was too late for all I wanted to do that day but it was a special holiday schedule and the class was at 9:15!  I quickly checked Isabelle in, and discovered her class was canceled, and rushed back to get my butt kicked by one of the instructors I had enjoyed back when I was an Edina housewife.  I am happy to report that while I definitely have been moving slower the last 2 days I was not even in the ballpark of the sore I was the first time I did the class.  Which I reason means I have not fallen nearly as far into mush land as I thought I had.

This week my plan is to plan.  While planning I will attempt to be aware of what I am eating and where I can exercise. 

I have a few thoughts so far:

I have created a 5 day menu that I plan to implement monday-friday for at least the rest of the school year.  Spaghetti, pork tenderloin, thai chicken wraps, tacos and pizza.  The weekend we can be creative but m-f we are keeping it simple.  While these meals may not be overly healthy I find that I loose weight simply by eating at home.  I think it is because I eat far smaller portions when I dish up my own food and because my tacos are way less calories than the local mexican restaurant.  Ditto for my lunches, salad every day.  I love it.  Could eat it for dinner too and be happy.

Santa put swim goggles and a cap in my stocking this year to replace the cap and goggles that have disappeared off the face of the earth.  I am thinking of going in one morning a week to swim.  I will get ready and head to work afterward.

I will do the morning cycle class on Saturday while Isabelle is doing yoga.

I will continue the Wednesday evening yoga class which has been about the only thing I have done the past few months.

That leaves running/elliptical.  When will I do this?  And I would like to do a body pump class too.  Need to figure out what I am prioritizing in my life and schedule.  I figure around April 1 it will be light enough and warm enough to run outside in the mornings so I just need to get through the next 3 months in good enough shape to start a training program.

I am not even going to pretend to respond to Iceman's competitive challenge.  Just sign me up to detail someones car.  I am exhausted thinking about trying to compete.  I would be up for some sort of work together and encourage one another along the path plan, but I know Goose and Iceman are both rolling their eyes as they read that.



1 comment:

  1. you are overcomplicating already! keep it simple! my training plan is the exact same thing every day. 3x/wk run, 2x/wk crosss-train, 2x/wk rest. and my sticker chart is really motivating, i love to put my happy face up as soon as I finish!:)

    ReplyDelete