Sunday, June 27, 2010

Ten Mile Training--week Two

Week two finished.

I was telling my friend H that I much prefer knowing I only have to keep up this pace for 6 weeks. We had, like, 6 months to train for the Triathlon, and granted I was starting from sedentary so needed that time, but it seemed to go on forever. I much prefer knowing that I only have to run 20 miles a week for the next 4 weeks now and then I can switch up my workout routine again.

So this week...

Monday - 4 mile run, pushups and abs
Tuesday - Shred
Wednesday - 3 mile run, pushups and abs
Thursday - 4 mile run, pushups and abs
Friday - Shred
Saturday - OFF
Sunday - 6 mile run

I left the house for my 6 miles this morning at 7:30am and noticed that the humidity was not as thick as its been the last couple weeks. Also, I had a more shady route planned. I also put a small water bottle in my mailbox to run by and grab a sip at some point.

I headed out and felt....good! Wow, I don't know what the difference is from day to day, but the first 4 miles felt, dare I say...easy? I just felt good the whole time. I really needed this mental boost, as I have been feeling discouraged with my running, wondering why even a 3 mile run has felt so taxing lately.

I realize more and more that the mental component of athletics is almost every bit as important as the physical component. I really see this in play with my super star swimmer, my 11 yo daughter, E. She is as much a mental competitor as she is a physical competitor. She stays so calm and cool...steady. I want to be like her when I grow up. As a side note, this weekend was the prelims for the county wide meet in our area. My girl is #1 in her events in the county going into finals tonight. I think I am more nervous for her to hang on to that spot than she is!

Anyway, back to mental strength. It is important. Your body can have the ability to get through the exertion of whatever you are putting it through, but if your mind is not strong and determined to get through it with your body, then you won't make it. Sometimes the body does give out before the mind, but more often I think the mind gives out before the body. Food for thought.

So, after running 4 miles I hit the giant hill in my n'hood. Last week I didn't even consider running it after 4 miles and was so spent I didn't know if I could even go on. But this morning I was able to run up it and it wasn't that bad. I got to my mailbox at 5 miles and decided to grab the water and take 30 seconds walking to drink it even though I was still feeling good and thought I could get one more running mile out of me. After I drank the water and started back up again it felt a little hard to get through that last mile. I thought the brief walk might give me a little boost, but it seemed to poop me out. Plus, nature was calling, so I just wanted to get through that last mile quickly. :)

So all in all, it really gave me hope and a boost to have a good run this morning. I may actually be able to do the 7 miles next Saturday.

So, the take away today is Mental Strength. It is important. Keep up the good work.

Goose Out.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post. Yes I think my favorite part of my running life has been what it has done for the mental part of the rest of my life. Mentally conquring the physical has made me feel invincable in so many other ways. And your mental is so much stronger than mine in this area. Way to go with the running. You are amazing.

    I sometimes thing the rests make it seem harder when you re-start than if you keep going. But still think that it is better to stop for a little water. How about just putting a little cup in your mailbox that you can grab, drink and toss in the yard on your way by. All things considering, you should definately not neglect hydration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Shel! Quite impressed and insipred by your dedication to your training. Good job!

    ReplyDelete