Monday, June 14, 2010

Goose's new countdown

The new countdown you see is for me. We will be in MN at the end of July and I signed up for the 10 mile run in Stillwater for the Lumberjack days on July 24.

Ugh. What was I thinking??

Well, what I was thinking was that after the triathlon I needed another new challenge to work for to keep me motivated in my exercising. I knew 10 miles would really challenge me, as I have never run more than 6 miles at a time.

Truth be told, I am more worried about accomplishing a ten mile run than I ever was about accomplishing the triathlon.

Plus, the brutal run I had at the end of the triathlon, as well as the horrible recovery I had has messed with my mental strength and made me doubt that I am actually a runner.

I am finally at the tail end of my sickness...two weeks sick!...and have run three times since the tri last week, and all three times I stopped at 3 miles. Today is the first day of my actual training program that my friend who runs marathons recommended. It's actually not too bad. I am going to run Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and she told me to just run 3 miles, 4 miles, 3 miles, and then on Saturday do a long run, starting with 6 miles this Sat. and increasing a mile each week until the run.

Ok. Sounds do-able. However, I live in Georgia, and the opressive heat is already upon us. I have been trying to run early, by 8 or 9am, but when it is getting to the high 90's with massive humidity, even at 8 or 9am it is 80 with high humidity. This morning I went at 9:30am, and it was so hot! So hot! I don't want to drink much water before I run because then I will have to pee while running. I don't want to carry a cumbersome waterbottle while I am running. But it seems that after 3 miles I really need something to drink. What's a girl to do?

So this is my frustration right now. Staying hydrated in the heat, and pushing past this wierd 3 mile mental meltdown I have been having since the triathlon.

Oh, and I am going to get back to consistently doing the Shred at least 3 times a week in order to keep my core, leg and arm muscles strengthened.

H wants to sign up for 2 more sprint triathlons. One in August and one in Sept. I am not sure. Still thinking about it. I'd like to do the August one but it is only 3 weeks after the 10 mile run, so not sure I will have enough time to work on my biking, since I am planning on focusing on my running until the 10 mile run.

Ok, that is all for now.

Goose Out

1 comment:

  1. Go Goose. You can do it. You could get a water belt to wear on your run or you could stash some water bottles. Maybe loop by your house at 3 miles, grab a water bottle out of the mailbox and keep going another 3 miles. One time I stashed a water bottle by a stop sign and it was gone when I got back. I was devestated. There had been an old couple walking behind me when I stashed it and I think they thought I was just litering. How about stashing water in friends yards. So many options.

    No need to worry about over heating when you get to Minnesota...bring a sweater.

    ReplyDelete