Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Summer Training with Maverick's Son

My teenage son is working to get into shape over here.  He ran track for the first time this spring and really enjoyed it.  Now that he has the bug he is motivated to get in better shape for next year.  He is also a boy scout who love to hike and wants to complete a merit badge in Hiking.  This requires him to do 5 10 mile hikes.  I reason why not combine them into a 10 mile run/walk?  And so I am encouraging him to consider joining Goose in the Lumberjack days run.  He has also set his sights on West Point and there is a rigorous physical test he will need to pass for that.  So many reasons to get into top shape.

I thought I would try to get him to share some of his thoughts and plans here with all of us.  What goes through a young energetic mind when getting into shape?  In order to best get the results I am hoping on this post I will frame it as a question and answer post rather than expecting him to sit down and actually write something for me.

Maverick: What do you enjoy about running?
Son:  I couldn't really place it. In comparison to biking, for instance, I like feeling like I'm propelled under my own power. Also, I feel more in control of my motion while running.

M: Are there any tips you learned from track that you can pass on to help us improve our running?
S: Probably not long distance running, but I was taught to work the arms. It's actually amazing how much easier it is to run harder if you pump your arms more. Also, control your breathing and relax.

M: What was your best time this year in your events?
S: I don't remember, but I'll give my guesses
100 meter: 13.4
200 meter: 27.3
400 meter: 67.6 (Made that up completely. Somewhere around there.)

M: What do you listen to while you run?
S: I usually either space out or think while I run. Headphones and mp3 players are a hassle.

M: Where would you love to run?
S: Trails. I don't particularly like running on perfect flat surfaces, at least in comparison to a hiking trail or wooded path.

Thanks to Maverick's son for being a good sport about posting with us.  Hopefully in August we will see him at the Lumberjack 10 miler.

2 comments:

  1. I liked this post, very fun format! Ah, to be young and speedy again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. come on jake! run with aunty! of course, non, you know there won't be a precious finish of us running, holding hands, across the finish line and raising our hands in victory together...i am a competitive loner, that's how i roll, hahahahaha :)

    ReplyDelete