Sunday, July 11, 2010

Another training week finished--week 4

So this week started out with the 4th of July holiday. I tested my theory from last week that it seems I can eat whatever I want when running this much and I ate like a pig...all week--there were left overs that had to be eaten, of course.

Just so you believe me, in two days over the 4th, me.myself.and.I. ate an entire bag of Lays Salt and Vinegar potato chips. The whole bag. Just me. All by myself. In two days. Did I mention my period came this week, too? Hmmm, maybe there is some correlation there.

I also drank wine nearly every day this week and had margaritas with a friend one afternoon after the pool. Oh, and I had made these yummy cookie ice cream sandwiches, and well, of course, we had to finish them all this week. Basically I have had my years quota of hot dogs, ice cream sandwiches, and potato chips in just a few days.

The day after the 4th I did step on the scale and was about 1.5 lbs up, but attributed that to the bag of potato chips (ya think?) and figured I'd pull it together for the rest of the week.

As you can see from above, I did not, but somehow, someway that I cannot understand myself, when I weighed myself yesterday prepared to be like 3 lbs up, I was actually 3 lbs down from the day after the 4th. I stepped on the scale 10 times to make sure it was reading it correctly and then used another scale in the house to confirm it. The body is wierd. Oh well, I'll take it. :)

I felt a litle lackluster and unmotivated during my workouts this week, but I managed to get them done. So today was supposed to be 8 miles. Actually yesterday was supposed to be 8 miles. I have been having trouble sleeping the last couple days and the night before last I was up until 4am with extreme insomnia, so I decided to not get up early and run.

So this morning, I had slept a bit better but still could not drag myself out the door until 8:20am, which was too late as it was already very hot and humid and sunny. I just felt so stiff and hot. At about 4.5 miles I could tell I was getting dehydrated. Why do I get dehydrated so easily?? It is frustrating. I was feeling crampy and light headed and really wanted some water.

So I walked for about 5 min and then decided I'd run past my house to get the little bottle of water I had put in my mailbox. By the time I got there I had gone about 6 miles and I just knew I was done, I don't want to push myself to a point where it is not healthy when I can tell I am sluggish. I was walking and drinking the water and had chills even though I was sweating profusely, which is how I felt at the end of the triathlon, so I figured I needed to just call it quits.

I got home, had a huge thermos of cold water and laid flat on my back under the ceiling fan and started to feel much better. I am sure my bad eating and also my period this week helped to make this an off week for me. I am going to really concentrate on my water intake this week. I feel like I drink a lot of water and eat a lot of fruit normally, but I think this week I had a lot of caffeine which I normally do not have, as well as more alcohol than I normally have in a week, and that threw off my hydration or something.

So this weeks workouts:

Monday: OFF
Tuesday: 4.5 miles, pushups and abs
Wednesda: 3 miles with Sarah along biking next to me, pushups and abs
Thursday: 4.5 miles, pushups and abs
Friday: OFF
Saturday: Shred
Sunday: 6 miles

This week my mom comes into town and E has her state swim meet Thurs-Sun, and then we hit the road for MN. I will be busy, so hopefully I can get up early and get the runs in before the day begins.

Goose Out.

1 comment:

  1. Well I am proud of you for listening to your body and not pushing for the sake of following your schedule. You must have really learned something at the Tri. (although I bet you would do the same thing again in a race. :))

    It sounds like you have correctly diagnosed your insomnia and sluggish behavior. I guess even if junk food doesn't cause us to gain weight it still has such a negative affect on our systems it is just not worth the temporary satisfaction. Only healthy stuff while you are here! :) Looking forward to seeing you.

    Love, Maverick

    ReplyDelete