Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Outdoor Running

This weather really makes me aware that running season is almost upon us. I am getting ready!


It is almost 50 today in MN. That is pretty crazy for February but we aren't complaining. The cold will return. It is only February.


I ran my neighborhood today. It was great in so many ways but hard in others. My knee hurt more than usual from all the hills and uneven pavement. That frustrates me. My mind felt alive.

As I ran I started making a few lists:


Here is what I love about being able to run outside in my neighborhood:

  1. It is right out my front door.  No driving. 
  2. If I go on a 30 minute run I will be home in 30 minutes not 45 or 60.
  3. I love getting to know my neighborhood.  I know the cracks in the road, what houses are for sale, who is remodeling.  I watch the changes happen.  When I drive through my neighborhood I am not just passing through but I am on roads I feel like I really know and have a connection to.
  4. Sometimes I run into friends.
Here is what I do not like about running in my neighborhood:
  1. It is hilly.
  2. Traffic.
  3. The sidewalks are crooked so I am running at an angle half the time.
  4. Knowing that I cannot decide to quit 2 miles from home, I must keep going. I like to have an out.
Here is what I like about treadmill running:
  1. It is flat, unless I don't want it to be.
  2. Climate control.
  3. Childcare
  4. constant speed.
  5. instant statistics
  6. control.
Here is what I hate about treadmill running at the Gym:
  1. It is boring.
  2. constant speed.
  3. instant statistics
  4. The feeling that I am a rat in a cage.
  5. Going nowhere.
  6. All the distractions.  My mind can never settle on a thought.

I am wondering if this is the year I need to start driving to some better outdoor running locations. There are a couple lovely 2 mile loops just a mile or two from our home. Both do have a couple hills but also have some nice flat even stretches as well. One is actually so close I have run to it, around it and back. Or do I venture even further to one of the nice flat beautiful former railroad bed bike paths where I could run for miles and miles with little incline. I have often wanted to jump off my bike and go for a run on them, maybe this year I will.

1 comment:

  1. Minnesota is full of BEAUTIFUL running trails - it's one of my favorite things about our great state! It takes a bit more time and planning to pull off a 'destination' run but it's totally worth it. Maybe we could do an occasional 'cousins' destination run this season.

    ReplyDelete