Monday, March 15, 2010

The Go-To Food

One thing I have noted in reading health/diet books is that the writers really love their health food but seem to have some go-to food as well.  One of the first books I read the woman talked about the first healthy food she fell in love with was this rice and rye combo she would make and mix with veggies or just eat plain.  In another book the writer is in love with oatmeal.  He talks about how he would love to eat it 3 meals a day but realizes he needs more balance in his diet.

I realized last week when I decided it was time to pump up my healthy eating lifestyle that I too have a go-to meal.  Rice and Beans.  When I don't feel well or don't know what to eat but want to eat healthy I pull that out.  I love it.  Almost as much as salads, another of my go-to foods.  My body just feels happy when I eat rice and beans.  And I have discovered that it is good no matter what kind of bean you use.  The usual is a dark red kidney bean but I have experimented with black beans and white beans, still good.

So how to make...

saute some onion in olive oil in a pan or wok until soft, add a bunch of rice and 1-2 cans of rinsed beans.  Add some random spices.  I tend to go with curry and cumin and maybe some garlic powder.  I then add some balsamic vinegar because I love it but you could add any vinegar or no vinegar at all as well as many other little additions that you have cluttering up the fridge like tomatoes or mushrooms or whatever.  And then you are done and you eat.  Yummy!





John loves it too.  And our bodies smile when we eat it.  Keeps us healthy and happy.

So what is your go-to food when you feel unhealthy?

1 comment:

  1. my favorite go to food is cereal. I like uncle sams whole wheat and flaxseed with a banana or strawberries cut up on top in the morning, or in the afternoon or evening when i want a snack, i like a granola variety, currently love a sunflower and pumpkin seed granola by back to nature

    ReplyDelete