Thursday, June 25, 2009

Camping Meals

A big part of our summers is camping. Mike and I cemented the commitment to camping last year when we bought this. So, therefore, I must embrace camping and all the calorie laden traditions that come with it. So what's a girl to do? I didn't want to give up the "fun" aspect of food. The chips and ice cream. The big, yummy, pancake breakfasts and the eventful Suppers. So I made substitutions and was careful. I also did lots of biking and walking. I played kickball with the kids and took my brother's dogs for a walk. Anything to keep me moving.

Anyway, I thought I would let you in on my food journal from this last camping trip and see what I did. (Yes, I do keep a food journal. I could do a post entirely on journaling, it's that important.)

Friday ~
5 Oatmeal Apple Pancakes with ICBINB (I Can't Believe it's Not Butter) & 2 T Light Syrup = 5 pts
1 Egg cooked with Pam - 2 pts

Ham Sandwich (2 oz Ham, 45 Calorie Bread, and 1 slice FF Cheese) = 3 pts
Weight Watchers Pasta Salad = 2 pts

I made this yummy recipe from my Weight Watcher's cookbook this time, I will definitely make it again!
  • Pasta Salad with Black Beans and Tomatoes
  • 4 oz. uncooked Rotini
  • 2 C diced plum tomatoes ( I used halved cherry tomatoes, I liked that much better)
  • 1/2 C diced cucumber
  • 3 T chopped fresh cilantro
  • 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3/4 C Fat free balsamic vinaigrette ( I used Fat Free Italian, very yummy also)
  • 1/4 t Kosher Salt
  • 1/4 c (1 oz) crumbled reduced fat feta
  • cook pasta and cool, mix remaining ingredients! 6 serving (3/4 C serving)
Baked Chips = 2 pts

Weight Watchers Ice Cream Bar = 2 pts

Hamburger with light bun (1 pt) = 6 pts
More Pasta Salad - 2 pts
More Baked Chips = 2 pts

Fat Free Pudding w/ Fat Free Whip Topping = 2 pts

Saturday ~
5 Oatmeal Apple Pancakes with ICBINB & 2 T Light Syrup = 5 pts
1 Egg cooked with Pam - 2 pts

Ham Sandwich = 3 pts
Weight Watchers Pasta Salad = 2 pts
Baked Chips = 2 pts

Weight Watchers Ice Cream Bar = 2 pts

Petite Steak = 3 pts
1/2 C Party Potaoes (Frozen hasbrowns, 1 pkg Neufchatel, 1 C Chicken Broth, Salt & Pepper to taste) = 3 pts
Salad with light dressing = 1 pt

1/2 C half fat ice cream = 2 pts

Lastly, we made these!
Instead of s'mores I thought I would try a dessert that still needed to be cooked over a campfire, but not SO caloric. So we made Baked Apples. A cored apple with 2t brown sugar and 2t granola. We double wrapped them in tinfoil and put them in the coals.

Now, admittedly, I then went on a big walk and thought they were being tended to. (which they weren't) so when I got back they were mere charred versions of the real thing. But I know this recipe will work. You just can't let them sit in a searing hot fire for an hour...

2 comments:

  1. The baked apples sound yummy! Let's make them on Saturday - in addition to s'mores...

    The pasta salad sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of it sounds yummy Julia. I would love the WW pasta salad recipe and your oatmeal pancake recipe. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete