Thursday, May 27, 2010

Please let me be old

Last fall as I turned 39 I felt this need to somehow mark 40 with an athletic accomplishment that said I was going into this next decade with enthusiasm, power and strength.  I am still young and vital and can accomplish anything I put my mind to.  This coming triathlon was the result of my need to do something big for 40.  But I am over it.

I am ready to embrace 40.  I am ready to be old.  Bring on the wrinkles.  Bring on the pre-menapausal symptoms, colonoscopy and mamograms.  Buy me a pair of cheaters and lets call it a day.  I don't need to enter 40 young and vital.  I want to enter 40 slow and sluggish.  I don't want to be a young mom of a 5 year old, I want to be mistaken for her grandmother.  I am over it.  Please let me move on.  Why am I doing this triathlon?  WHY???

Today as I ran 3.1 miles immediately following a 45 minute cycle class those were the thoughts going through my head.  Please let me out of this triathlon.  My knee hurt most of the 40 minutes and I walked at least half or better of the time.  Yet I finished,  ran through the digital finish line, and I am still functioning now back at home.  So I must be ready.  All this training is apparently doing something.  In one week I will be flying down to Atlanta and 2 days later it will be over.  My training seems to be doing its job so I just need to keep doing what I have been doing for months.  I just need to keep putting one foot in front of the other and get the job done.

1 comment:

  1. haha, i can somewhat relate, as i am so OVER training for this thing...it just needs to get here already! i am stressing because it has been so busy this week with the end of school that it has been 2 days in a row with no workout! i have to get motivated this afternoon!!

    i am not ready to roll over and cry uncle though, i have finally re-emerged at 37 and will try to maintain for awhile, but i agree that it sure ain't easy like it used to be!

    can't wait to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete